Even if we go through an intentional process of setting our goals, we might face obstacles in our efforts to actually achieve them. Being prepared for those obstacles helps us overcome them. In this episode we continue our discussion of goal-setting, looking at some of the obstacles that may interfere and some of the things we can do to overcome those obstacles.
Tip of the Week: Use a timer to motivate yourself (or your kids?) to get started on a task you've been putting off, or stay focused on one task when many others fight for attention.
Tool of the Week: Lift.do – a website and app (iOS and Android) to help you develop good habits that will move you toward accomplishing your goals.
Topic of the Week: Obstacles–and how to overcome them
- Choosing the wrong goals.
- Fear (of failure . . . or of success).
- Perfectionism and unrealistic expectations.
- Disorganization and/or poor time management.
- Lack of support (or self-sabotage).
- Physiological issues.
Some general steps to help keep you on the right path:
- Review your goals regularly — several times a day.
- Schedule an appointment with yourself each week to review and re-evaluate your goals and the progress you've made — celebrate even the tiniest step in the right direction!
- Keep yourself motivated
- Put a note on your computer screen or bathroom mirror:
What have you done today to make your dreams come true?
Your turn: What obstacles do you struggle with when trying to achieve your goals? Can you share a tip — something that helps you overcome one of these obstacles and make progress?
I look forward to getting to know you!