The week of April 15 was a rough one. Tragedies of various kinds consumed the airwaves and social media sites. Watching these tragedies unfold, I cried more last week than I have in all the weeks combined so far this year.
The misery I've observed from a distance has made me acutely aware of just how much I have to be grateful for–big things and little ones–and more determined to keep those things at the forefront of my mind. So this morning, I just wanted to share ten things I'm grateful for as I write this post.
- Warm slippers and hot green tea on a chilly morning.
- Courageous men who run toward the scene of a disaster, seeking to help, without thinking of their own safety.
- A husband who believes my dreams matter.
- Sunshine and blue skies over the newly green trees outside the window of my home office.
- Technology that lets me work from home in my yoga pants and warm slippers.
- The privilege of introducing people to books written by authors I know personally.
- That my grown children like to come home, and enjoy each other’s company.
- New friends who encourage and challenge me.
- That the people I love most are safe and healthy.
- Second (and third and fourth) chances.
This is what I've been trying to learn in the last year or so: joy is a choice. It's not dependent on circumstances, but on attitude.
By nature and by training, my tendency is to see the things that are “wrong” in any situation. That can be a recipe for despair. I don't want to spend my days in despair. So I've undertaken the discipline of looking for things to be grateful for. In every situation, no matter how unpleasant, it's possible to find something to be thankful for.
I am determined to remember that. I am determined to be grateful.
What about you? Are you struggling with a difficult situation right now? Can you find something to be grateful for, even in the midst of that situation?
When times are hard, we need to encourage one another.
Share something you're grateful for in the comments below.
I'll be thankful to hear from you. 🙂