The Productive Woman 015 – Dealing With Discouragement [podcast]
We'll pick up in a future episode on our mini-series on decluttering, but this week I thought I'd share a little of my heart on something I've been dealing with lately–discouragement. It can interfere with our productivity and our quality of life in general, but there are some things we can do to disable its power over us.
Tool of the Week:
The Ben Franklin Day Planner Template for Moleskine; created by Bob Stanke based on the day planner method reportedly used by Benjamin Franklin. Check out the YouTube video explaining what it is and how you can use it. You can buy the template for $1.99 at Bob Stanke's website.
Topic of the Week: Dealing With Discouragement
Why do we get discouraged?
An article by Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in California (see the reference below), suggests:
And I toss in another one: hormones.
What effect can discouragement have on us?
- It can derail us from accomplishing the things we care about
- It can isolate us
What are some steps we can take to overcome discouragement?
- Reorganize our lives to get a better handle on the overload that's getting us down
- Ask for help
- Take some time to journal how we're feeling, what's causing it, what we might do to change those causes
- Stop comparing ourselves to others!
- Focus our thinking on positive, encouraging things – check out the quotes at the WomenWorking.com Facebook page
- Cultivate a grateful heart – celebrate the small accomplishments
- Turn your focus to someone else – find someone to help or encourage
Some great resources to look at:
- “Some Cures for Discouragement,” by Rick Warren on CBN.com.
- “7 Reasons Why People Get Easily Discouraged,” on MindBody Breakthrough website.
- “What to Do When You Feel Discouraged as an Entrepreneur,” by The Big Enough Company on Forbes.com.
- “12 Things to Do When We Get Discouraged,” by Ryan Clements on Lifehack.
- Lots of encouraging posts at Ann Voskamp's website.
Your turn: Do you feel discouraged sometimes? How do you deal with discouragement? Please share your thoughts in the comments.
Subscribe to The Productive Woman in iTunes or subscribe in Stitcher, and join the conversation at The Productive Woman on Facebook. And don't forget to check out the other podcasts that make you think, laugh, and succeed at Noodle.mx!
I Was Just Thinking . . .
Legal Blog: Real Estate Law Blog