I was delighted recently to learn that my first (as yet unpublished) novel was the winner for the women's fiction category of the Phoenix Rattler fiction contest. The contest, sponsored by the Christian Writers of the West, is a great opportunity for unpublished writers to get their work evaluated by experienced writers. The feedback is invaluable, and I was grateful for that alone. To find out that the judges had selected my story as the winner in the women's fiction category–well, that was just above and beyond what I had imagined when I entered.
Then, to add to the fun, a few days ago I received notice that my story is a finalist in The Olympia, another fiction contest, this one sponsored by Clash of the Titles. Again, a wonderful bit of encouragement received just at the right time! They'll announce the winner of that one on March 1, but I received the judges' score sheets and comments yesterday, and am thrilled to have that input to use as I finish editing my manuscript in anticipation of sending it off to an agent very soon.
To celebrate this good news, I'm giving books away! Since my own novel isn't yet published, I can't give that away. But I do have copies of a number of really outstanding novels I've read in the past few months, and I'd like to give one (or more) away to someone who loves fiction as much as I do. So . . . if you want to win, here's all you need to do:
- If you haven't already done so, subscribe to my blog by going to the box at the upper right corner of the blog itself and submitting your email address. (You'll receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription. Be sure to watch for that and click on the link it provides to confirm.)
- Leave a comment below letting me know you've subscribed and telling me what's your favorite genre of fiction (women's fiction? romance? historical? Amish?) or who are some of your favorite authors.
I will draw two to three names (depending on the number of entries) later this month to win a copy of the novel of their choice from the following list:
- Out of Control by Mary Connealy
- Love Amid the Ashes by Mesu Andrews
- Desert Gift by Sally John
- Bandit's Hope by Marcia Gruver
- Who Is My Shelter? by Neta Jackson
- Love Finds You in Nazareth Pennsylvania by Melanie Dobson
- Necessary Deception by Laurie Alice Eakes
I would love it if you would also go to the home page of my website and sign up for my mailing list through the box there–on the lower half of the page, next to the links to recent blog posts. Don't worry–I won't share your email address with anyone, and I won't inundate you with emails. But the people on that list will be the first to hear news of any new developments in my writing career, such as if/when the day comes that my first novel is to be published.
Celebrate with me! Don't miss your chance to win a free book!
Category Winner, 2012 Phoenix Rattler, courtesy of Christian Writers of the West, ACFW-Arizona, Do No Harm, Women's Fiction
Finalist, 2012 Olympia, courtesy of Clash of the Titles